MARRAKECH: For Women in their 20s & 30s
JUNE 8-15, 2019
Marrakech, also known as The Red City due to the buildings made of red clay, was founded in 1062 and is surrounded by 12th century walls. Enter inside the walls of this ancient city and you will discover a gateway to an age-old culture. Prepare for an intoxicating assault on the senses with startling contrasts of colors, mixed aromas of musky perfumes and incense, languages peppered with Arabic, Berber and French and tasty foods influenced by the vast variety of spices from the Far East. The atmosphere is teeming with humanity and the best way to enjoy the experience is to embrace it.
Marrakech is one of our most exotic destinations that we offer and we would like to share this with you by introducing you to our favorite places. I spent my youth in the Middle East and I return to various parts of the Middle East every year. In addition, I speak Arabic fluently. Come and experience Marrakech with us- it is a destination like no other!
Trip Length: 8 days, 7 nights
Trip Style: Cultural & Desert
Group Size: 8-12 women in their 20s and 30s
Accommodation: Traditional Luxury Riad inside Medina & Glamping in Tents
Activities: Majorelle Gardens • Berber Museum • Bahia Palace • Museum of Women • Markets • Henna Party • Camel Riding • Glamping • Stargazing • Cooking Class • Private Souk Shopping • Hammam (spa) Experience • Meeting With Local Women • Sidecar Tour • Free Time
Price: Please See Below. All of our trips offer you the option of submitting a deposit and paying for the rest of the trip in a series of payments with full payment due 91 days before the start of the trip.
We will be residing inside the walls of the traditional medina (town) so that you can immerse yourself in the culture. Our riad, a traditional Moroccan house with an inner courtyard and pool, will provide an easy launching point for us to explore the winding labyrinth of passageways and alleys that constitute the souk (market). At the end of a day of discovery, the riad will also provide a tranquil retreat from the chaotic rhythm of the medina. You will be staying only a short 20 minute walk from Jemma el-Fnaa, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, often referred to as an open-air theater due to the musicians, snake charmers, belly dancers, storytellers and a variety of other characters who fill the square in the evenings creating a scene from One Thousand and One Nights.
To uncover some of the vast secrets of the city and discover the rich history, we will use a private tour guide to visit significant sites such as the Bahia Palace. Outside of the walls of the medina, we will take the time to savor the Majorelle Gardens by Yves Saint-Laurent which houses the intricate displays of the Berber Museum. We will also peruse through the Museum of Women and explore how Moroccan women had a leading role in the history of the country. Shopping, not to be forgotten, will be an important activity on this trip as the souks contain a vast array of perfumes, spices, clothing, Moroccan shoes, caftans, baskets and fabrics. We will have the opportunity to discover this wondrous array of wares using both a famous celebrity guide as well through our own individual wanderings.
An essential part of our cultural experience of visiting Marrakech is a visit to a traditional Moroccan hammam (spa). This ritual dates back thousands of years and it is one that you will not want to miss. We will be getting 90-minute treatments at a 5-star spa. The traditional hammam massage includes a body scrub and a massage that is unlike any other due to the unusual ingredients and the different components of the ritual. You will come away feeling very clean, relaxed and refreshed.
Henna gatherings are common in the Middle East and often given for special occasions. A henna tattoo artist will join us for you to partake in this traditional custom that Middle East women have enjoyed for centuries.
We will also embark on a culinary experience by engaging in a cooking class preparing the traditional dishes of Morocco with an organization that empowers disadvantaged women in Morocco through culinary training.
We will take part in an hour and a half long sidecar tour of Marrakech.
In addition, there will be a special activity with local women that will be revealed upon arrival.
After the frenetic pace of Marrakech, the tranquility of the desert will be a welcomed relief. Glamping is the modern day solution for women who want to experience the ancient call of the desert but in comfort! We will embark on a journey to the desert and spend two nights glamping in upscale tents. Our meals will be cooked by women in a nearby Berber village and brought in daily. We will dine on a communal table in shaded areas during the day and under the stars and by candles at night. We have the opportunity to ride camels, get adventurous with quad bike ride through the desert, trek through the Atlas Mountains and have lunch in a Berber village, gaze at the stars at night under the guidance of an astrologer, play board games, and just rest and relax! The beauty and calmness of the desert is an experience not to be missed!
We will be spending two nights in the Moroccan desert camping in upscale tents (glamping). All tents have an attached private bathroom facility and desert-type shower and you will share a tent sleeping in twin beds. Please note that wifi is not available at this camp as we are in a remote area. We will be 'roughing' it a little but when we return to Marrakech we will indulge in hammam scrubs and treatments which will wash away the desert sand!
The riad where we will be staying at for 4 nights is located within the walls of the old medina. The interior design is quite stunning and we have reserved the entire riad for our group's exclusive private use. The rooftop terrace provides the ideal setting for breakfast, relaxation and sunsets! The courtyard swimming pool, living room and reading nook are also amazing places to unwind. The staff at the riad offer attentive and low-key service at all times. Laundry is available on request for a separate fee.
After two nights glamping in the desert, we will spend our last night at a very different type of riad. This riad was awarded the Gold List Award by Conde Naste Traveller in 2017.
** All travelers will share a room with another traveler.
For the Instagram Photo Traveler
What is included in the price of the Marrakech June 8-June 15 trip with Femscape Sojourns?
- eight days and seven nights’ accommodations including both a private, exclusive riad in the heart of the old walled city and glamping in a luxury desert camp;
- free pickup and transportation from the airport to the riad on the day of arrival;
- breakfast every morning, dinner on the night of arrival, and full meals during two days of glamping in the desert;
- all transportation to and from the scheduled group activities;
- private guides for our group to visit Ben Yousef Madrasa, Bahia Palace, museums and other sites of interest;
- visit to the Jardin Majorelle developed by French painter Jacques Majorelle and restored by Yves Saint-Laurent, the Berber Museum and the Musee Yves Saint Laurent Museum;
- a famous celebrity guide will give us a private tour of the various markets of the souk;
- time alone for you to explore Marrakech, shop, gather with the other women or just relax at the riad;
- camel riding in the desert;
- trekking in the Atlas Mountains with lunch in a Berber village;
- quad bike riding in the desert;
- two nights of glamping in the desert;
- private transportation to and from the desert camp for glamping;
- guided stargazing with an astronomer in the desert;
- sidecar tour of Marrakech;
- traditional hammam (spa) experience with scrubs and massage (90 minutes);
- cooking class where you have the opportunity to engage in hands on cooking of the local cuisine;
- participating in the ancient art of henna tattooing during a traditional henna gathering;
- meeting with local women (details upon arrival);
- all group scheduled cultural tours such as visiting ancient or historical sites;
- free wifi in the riad;
- sales tax for the Femscape Sojourns booking.
What isn't included in the price of the Marrakech June 8-15 trip with Femscape Sojourns?
- airfare to and from the retreat location;
- transportation from the riad back to the airport for your departure;
- any type of alcoholic beverages. This is an option that you are welcome to pursue at your own expense;
- meals that are not specifically stated above;
- optional gratuities for hotel staff, tour guides, spa employees, or other guides or instructors;
- any item not specifically listed as included.
Reservation and Payment Policy
If you would like to travel with us, please click on the BOOK button below with your deposit of 30% of the total cost of the retreat. The remaining balance is due 91 days before the first day of the retreat. If you are booking less than 91 days before the trip, the full balance is due at the time of booking. After you pay the deposit, you can create an online account and submit the rest of the payment in increments with full payment expected 91 days before the start of the sojourn. We accept Vis, MasterCard, and PayPal.
Double Occupancy and Double Occupancy Twin Bed Glamping in Tents: USD $3,200 per person.
Unexpected events happen in life which can cause you to change your plans. We highly recommend that you obtain travel insurance. Most insurance agencies require that you purchase travel insurance within 14 days of booking your reservation. At times, depending on the type of policy your purchase, travel insurance may pay for all or some of your cancellation fees.
Trip Cancellation Policy
Unexpected events happen in life which can cause you to change your plans. We highly recommend that you obtain travel insurance. Most insurance agencies require that you purchase travel insurance within 14 days of booking your reservation. At times, depending on the type of policy you purchase, travel insurance may pay for all or some of your cancellation fees.
Cancellation charges reflect the many expenses Femscape Sojourns cannot recover if you need to cancel, even if you must do so due to a personal emergency. This policy is not meant to be punitive. Femscape Sojourns has incurred various charges in reserving your place on this journey and planning for your participation. Please note that we do not make any refunds for any unused portion of your trip, not arriving, arriving late or leaving the trip early.
- If you cancel 91 days or more prior to the first day of the sojourn, 100% of your payment can be applied toward the cost of another trip with Femscape Sojourns within the next two years.
- If you cancel 60 to 90 days prior to the first day of the sojourn, 75% of your payment can be applied toward the cost of another retreat with Femscape Sojourn within the next two years. 25% of your payment is nonrefundable.
- If you cancel 31 to 59 days prior to the first day of the sojourn, 50% of your payment can be applied toward the cost of another trip with Femscape Sojourns within the next two years. 50% of your payment is nonrefundable.
- If you cancel 30 days or less prior to the first day of the sojourn, 25% of your payment can be applied toward the cost of another trip with Femscape Sojourns within the next two years. 75% of your payment is nonrefundable.
*To cancel your trip, you need to contact us via email at Femscapesojourns@gmail.com specifically stating that you would like to cancel your trip. We will process your cancellation within 10 business days. The cancellation policy date applies from the date we receive your email request.
Information About Booking Flights
It is best to fly into Marrakech (Americans spell it Marrakesh) Menara Airport with the code RAK. A driver will pick you up from the airport and take you to the riad (boutique hotel) within the walled city. We will already be in Marrakech so you can plan your arrival anytime during the day and you will be free to explore the souk until the evening when we will all gather at the riad for dinner. We will be in touch with you after you book with additional information and we will stay in touch with you until the trip date.